Monday, October 15, 2012

Advices for my 10 year-old self



If I were able to go back in time to visit my ten year-old self, I would give myself a book the "Tao Te Ching" with some additional words :

- Love yourself, no matter what the other are saying, be nice and loving with yourself and do your best to love everybody and everything
- People are eventually only interested in themselves ; so don't take what they say too seriously

- Avoid noisy, greedy, gross, and violent people
- We're not here on Earth to stay, it's just a step - so again don't take things too seriously
- If somebody hurts you, take the lesson and leave
- Do what you WANT in life, do not follow anybody's advice on what you should or shouldn't be doing
- Be organized (make list, write a journal, ...)
- Always learn new things, read lots of books - don't take anything for sure ; feel how this new knowledge is affecting you, evaluate the wisdom in it, search Enlightenment.
- Make times for yourself alone in the quiet to study the Tao Te Ching and meditate
- Be yourself and trust yourself
- Each and everyone has a specific path to follow, none of these paths is the best but your own - that's why when somebody is giving you advices (even with the best intentions), he's only giving advices that fit mostly his own path.
- When a teenager, don't worry too much about masturbation ; it's just a phase in life - learn to love, don't focus too much on the sex.
- When adult, remember the dream you had when you were a child - try to stay faithful to your inner child.
- Be cautious of the dominant religion/culture, learn from the other movements (native Indian wisdom, shaman, druid, minorities ... because they're the one who suffered and usually they know best)
- Learn how to ask question
- Be careful what you eat, think, listen, watch and read this affect you consciously and unconsciously  
- Learn to use the I-Ching
- Be open in your mind, don't judge too fast.
- Be like water, do not hold on things or beliefs - nothing is for certain (science can't answer every question, and there's more than what is visible, ...)
- Be in the center and be balanced in your passion
- Don't fall for the politician, the army recruiter, the banker, and the priest they're mostly here to use you ; stay away from them with respect.
- The real enemies are fear and ignorance, if anybody is playing on your fears, or take advantage of your ignorance be very careful : they're working some trick on you.
- Try to understand what is light, love, truth, space and time.

Then I'll tap myself on the back, telling me gently to (at least) talk to that girl I had a crush on (because otherwise I'll always regret not doing so) - then as a final note, I'll write down reddit.com on a piece of paper and ask myself to promise me not to spend too much time on this website when this will be online later on something we will call "the internet". 

This was inspired by this blog entry
Memories of God  : If I were able to go back in time to visit my ten year-old self, I would befriend myself and let him in on these secrets. And I'd teach him how to make fun of idiots -- it took me a while beginning at that age, and some help would have sped things up a bit and made life more bearable. I think I'd visit my parents and a few adults, too, and have a little talk with them about these things and the kid hiding out alone, confused, while they went about their marital and personal conflicts. Or maybe not. Perhaps I'd just give the kid a clue about how to take care of himself better -- because I can't imagine my life now without that period and the freedom to explore all things that came with it... though I'd not recommend it to others because, all things being equal, I was very fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment