Thursday, June 10, 2010

Unemployed

I recently became unemployed, and it's an interesting experience. Being your own boss for a while is something I believe everyone should try. The freedom that comes with it feels really good.

However, there is the issue of money, which will eventually become a concern. But for now, I'm enjoying the journey because that's exactly what it is – a ride, just like Bill Hicks famously said.

This morning, a memory came back to me right before my interview with my last employer. In retrospect, I should have paid more attention to that little incident. While waiting for the bus, I unknowingly stood underneath a plastic barrier that was opening. You know those barriers that block off parking spaces for taxis. It wasn't heavy or particularly dangerous, but when it came down, I saw stars dancing.

Speaking of my last employer, let me tell you something about corporations, especially those big companies. They often promote big marketing messages like "Create, Protect, and Care," usually accompanied by images of happy, smiling people with perfectly white teeth. But deep down, these corporations can be a rotten hell of exploitation and backstabbing. Just look at recent economic events – banks declaring bankruptcy and causing global turmoil, oil companies polluting the oceans. It wouldn't surprise me if we soon discover that major fast-food chains are using dog poop in their hamburgers or recycling oil from the ocean in their sodas. Who knows? Clever engineers looking to save a few bucks might find a way.

From time to time, I think about what Matt Damon said in "Good Will Hunting." (Watch this.)

Lately, I've been watching South Park in the middle of the afternoon (as I mentioned, being unemployed can have its perks). You shouldn't underestimate these cartoons; some of them are pretty good. (Watch this.)

Hopefully, writing this blog will help me maintain my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment