Monday, June 14, 2010

The financial Crisis held as an excuse



On my last post I explained I was recently unemployed ; I forgot to mention that I had to quit.

Probably not a smart thing to do, giving his resignation letter in the middle of a worldwide financial crisis - but trust me, I didn't had any other option, basically to summarize the feeling, I couldn't stand to work there anymore.


Nowadays, the financial crisis is taken as an excuse for unacceptable management decisions (salary freeze, and finding way to squeeze more of each employee - that should stay grateful because the company is keeping them). 

Employees are kept in the fear of being laid off, and would accept unpaid overtime, working on Saturday, extra work, extra responsibilities etc ... and with the only hope that someday the situation will get better, and they may finally get the recognition they deserve.


Accidentally I've stumbled upon this post on slashdot, which basically is describing the same situation.

Getting Paid Fairly When Job Responsibilities Spiral?

I will end this post by quoting Dilbert : 

A team leader is being interviewed by the team manager.
The team manager asks, "How do you reward your best performing employees?"
The team leader replies, "We increase their workload until their performance becomes average."

That's exactly what happened to me, I had to laugh ... but I cried a little bit inside too.

No comments:

Post a Comment