Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Freelance or returning to a "normal" job

So far my experience as a Freelance is very mixed, on one hand I'm happy to be my own boss, and enjoy wearing the clothes I want, waking up the hour I want, eating while I want, and even having a little nap if I feels like one - I even walk barefoot in my apartment, and have a nice beard.

Since I've quit my previous job the stomach pain disappeared - Now, I have plenty of sleep and have a lot more energy - also because of cardio-training I'm doing every morning.

I even think that the allergies I usually had in spring was less intense than before, might be because I'm a lot more selective in the food I eat (less meat, less milk products, more fruits, more vegetables).

I worked as a clerk (more like a jack of all trade) full-time for a little more than twelve years in a big company (think HP).

Of course there was a fair bit of soul-searching involved in the decision to give up because I now have a young family. However, as a friend of mine said ‘You’ll never lie on your death-bed wishing you hadn’t given it a go’.

I'm living the dream now, or am I?

Actually, it's not all fun and play, mainly because when you Freelance, some client have a little tendency not to pay - the typical scenario is that when they need you, because their computer is broken they promise pretty much everything, but when it's fixed, then it's another story - they always find a way to postpone the payment, arguing that it was easy to fix, they could have done themselves etc ... and I may have to change my policy to ask them to pay upfront, but sometime honestly I feel more comfortable to let them breathe, but that's me I'm a bit too gentle - and always hate the kind that ask for the money straight away even before having a look at the computer damage.

I read somewhere that :
"When the voice and vision on the inside become more profound and clear than the opinions on the outside, then you have mastered your life"
And I think I start to understand what that mean, even though I'm complaining about payment issue, I have to assume part of that because it's the price to pay for being nice, and that's a part of me.

There's a long way for me ahead, but hopefully it won't be about returning to a normal job.

No comments:

Post a Comment